Officials

Calendar

Announcements

Legal Notices

Newsletter

Procedures

Links

History

Ordinances

Comprehensive Plan

Map

Kiekhaefer Park Trails

Home

Application for Employment

Taycheedah township (T 15-16N--R 18E) is on the east shore of Lake Winnebago, northeast of the town and city of Fond du Lac. Governor Doty was attracted to this area and induced many of his friends in New York to make their home here. Reuben Simmons and Francis D. McCarty arrived in 1838. The following year Simmons built a home for Doty, a home which still stands and is used as living quarters for the superintendent of the Wisconsin Home for Women. The name TAYCHEEDAH was chosen by Doty from the Indian word Tee-char-rah which means "camping place." To Doty it meant "our home." Doty's neighbors included many he had known in New York: Senator Tallmadge, Col. Henry Conklin, A. W. Stow, E. H. Galloway, L. Bishop and Dr. J. M. Adams.

The harbor facilities of the township were superior to those of either Fond du Lac or Oshkosh so a little Village of Taycheedah in Section 31 soon became the largest of the settlements in the area.

Taycheedah had the first store in the county and the first school. The school was built in 1842 with Doty and Col. Conklin doing some of the work. Conklin then contributed the bell of his boat the Advocate which he had operated on the Hudson River until the boat was wrecked. This building was also used for church services.

Another school was built in 1857 and the first building was then used for community affairs such as town meetings, concerts and women's war activities. Since 1926 it has been call the Taycheedah Community Club. The village is still unincorporated.



click for larger view



Town of Taycheedah
Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin
info@townoftaycheedah.com

Officials | Calendar | Announcements | Legal Notices | Newsletter | Procedures | Links | History | Ordinances | Comprehensive Plan | Map | Kiekhaefer Park | Home